WHITE ROCK – White Rock city workers will begin withdrawing services on Monday, May 12 at all city worksites.
Following rotating job action over the past few weeks and an overtime ban, the union is increasing pressure on the employer to get back to the table ready to address key bargaining issues.
“The union has shown we are prepared to negotiate and find constructive solutions, but the City will not negotiate,” said CUPE 402-01 President Mike Guraliuk. “We don’t take this action lightly, but we feel this is our only option at this point.”
Guraliuk said the union hopes that this will be a wake-up call for the White Rock Mayor, Council and senior management.
Key issues for the union include the need for clear hours of work for all employees, fair treatment for casual and part-time employees, and protection for members who become seriously ill.
Picket lines will go up at the following sites as part of the job action:
• Municipal Operations Yard – 877 Keil Street – 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• City Hall – 15322 Buenavista Avenue – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• White Rock Community Centre – 15154 Russell Avenue – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Centennial Arena – 14600 North Bluff Road – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Kent Street Activity Centre – 1475 Kent Street – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.